Waddington Header 1

Waddow Hall

Waddow Hall is situated on the banks of the Ribble, near Brungerley Bridge, on the right of the road leading from Waddington to Clitheroe, and lies in the parish of Waddington.

Waddow Hall was built in Tudor times, originally as a dower house for the Tempest family, but later became their principal seat in the district.  The oldest part, once the front of the house, is at the back of the present building. The oldest picture of Waddow, an original painting in oils on a wooden card table top, dated 1690, hangs in the Hall today. The Tudor house is now completely hidden behind the Jacobean hall; but oak beamed rooms, still in use as bedrooms, date back to the early building.

The Girl Guide Association purchased the Hall and estate in 1928, and it is now used as a Commonwealth Training Centre.

SOURCE: HISTORY & GUIDE BY NORA MARY GOODCHILD JULY 1983